Copy Noted March 2020
FRMA (Fish Resources Management Act)
112. Fisheries officers’ powers as to people in designated fishing zones
(1) A fisheries officer may direct a person to —
(a) immediately leave a designated fishing zone; or
(b) cease any activity in a designated fishing zone; or
(c) remove anything from a designated fishing zone;
if in the fisheries officer’s opinion —
(d) the person, activity or thing is hindering, obstructing or interfering with fishing or any other activity, or is disturbing fish, in the zone; or
(e) the activity or thing is likely to hinder, obstruct or interfere with fishing in the zone.
(2) A person must not, without reasonable excuse, refuse or fail to comply with a direction given under subsection (1).
Penalty: In the case of an individual, $10 000 or, in the case of a body corporate, $20 000.
113. Regulations about designated fishing zones
The regulations may prohibit or regulate —
(a) entry to a designated fishing zone; or
(b) the taking of fish in a designated fishing zone; or
(c) any other activity in a designated fishing zone.
171. Preventing etc. lawful fishing activities, offence
(1) A person must not, without reasonable excuse —
(a) prevent a person from lawfully fishing or from lawfully engaging in aquaculture; or
(b) hinder a person who is lawfully fishing or lawfully engaging in aquaculture; or
(c) place or leave anything in a recognized net fishing area that obstructs the use of fishing nets.
Penalty: In the case of an individual, $10 000. In the case of a body corporate, $20 000.
(2) If a court convicts a person of an offence against subsection (1), the court may, in addition to any penalty imposed under that subsection, order the person to pay compensation for any damage or loss caused by the offence to any person.
(3) In this section, recognized net fishing area means an area of waters that is used regularly or intermittently for net fishing.
[Section 171 amended by No. 2 of 2002 s. 17; No. 50 of 2003 s. 63(4).]
**Copy provided by DPIRD February 2020 for reference purposes only.